The tuberculosis sanatorium was built in pre fabricated sections in the late 1890's by Boulton and Paul Ltd. In 1899 its doors opened as one of the first private TB sanatoria and was the first large one to be built in the UK. The design was inspired by TB sanatoria in Germany and Switzerland where open air treatment had been pioneered.
Set in twentyfive acres at the southern base of a hill to protect it from winds and far from main roads it was well isolated and free from dust. All the patient bedrooms were south facing with large casement windows to allow for maximum air circulation.
In 1943 a cure was discovered for tuberculosis, treatments were deemed unnecessary and sanatoria began to close. In 1957 the National Health Service adopted the hospital and in 1960 became a convalescence and rehabilitation unit until 1992.
In 1997 the hospital was refurbished at the cost of over £1 million and became the "Diana Princess of Wales Treatment Centre For Drug And Alcohol Problems". Due to administration the site was forced to close in 1997 and the building was left abandoned.
Work is now under way to transform the building into a dedicated therapy facility for people with mental health problems.