Derbyshire Royal Infirmary is a large abandoned hospital in the UK.
Originally opened in 1810 and known as Derbyshire General Infirmary.
In 1890 an outbreak of typhoid ran rife around the hospital, and the design was blamed for the spread of the disease. A major design and renovation project was started to improve the risks of future outbreaks.
The hospital re-opened in 1894 with the foundation stone being laid by Queen Victoria.
In 1955 the first UK flying squad was based here. The initial intention was for industrial incidents, however road traffic accidents were regularly attended.
In 1992 the Queen opened the Pulvertaft Hand Centre. Seven years later Prince William was sent here after an incident while playing rugby.
Throughout the 20th century varying expansions were undertaken including a large A&E building and a tall accommodation block for nurses.
Demolition was held off in 2014 due to a supermarket pulling out of development plans abruptly. Recently the city's hospital trust received a loan for £3.8 million to clear the site. it is believed it will make the development site more inviting to investors.