The abandoned Carmel College is set on the River Thames in Mongewell Park.
A rather large site comprising of a synagogue, swimming pool, gallery, manor house and a number of other buildings.
Visited with Behind Closed Doors and one other, sadly only access was available to the manor house. However it is a rather impressive manor house.
Built in 1890 in a William and Mary style this large brick built mansion has served many purposes throughout its life.
Originally a family home it became a hospital in 1916 for officers who were wounded during the first world war. Two years later it was purchased by an American who lived here until 1939. It was then occupied by the RAF during the second world war until it became used as a hospital again once the war had ended.
In 1948 it was taken over by a Jewish boarding school who occupied the site until it was left abandoned.
During their time here Carmel College added various buildings and a number of which are now listed.
It was Europe's only Jewish school and becoming a pupil was not easy. Fees of £30,000 a year. Yet pupils still had to sit exams and prove that they could contribute to the school ethos. Referred to as a Jewish Eaton and alumni were known as "Old Carmelis"
In June 1997 the school was closed due to financial difficulties and diminishing pupil numbers.
Since its closure the site has had some use for film sets and music videos. Also it has been used by the police for various training.
It seems the future of the site is unknown at the moment.